Posts Tagged ‘World Snow Awards 2012’
This week we were delighted to learn that the home of Pierre et Vacances’ first residence back in 1978 has been nominated as Best Family Resort! The nomination from 2012 World Snow Awards – from Ski and Snowboard Magazine – will be judged a panel of industry experts with winners announced on Friday November 2, 2012 during the annual Ski and Snowboard Show in Earls Court, London. The event will mark the 25th anniversary of the Ski & Snowboard magazine.
It’s well deserved honour in our view, and for good reason too. Avoriaz has always led innovation in the Alps and this winter season is no exception.
Here are our top 10 reasons why Avoriaz should win!
1. It is 100 per cent snow-sure: Avoriaz is a 100 per cent snow-sure resort located at 1,800m. It has ski in, ski out access from every single residence and hotel to 650km of groomed pistes within the Les Portes du Soleil ski region.
2. Unsurpassed facilities for children: Learn to ski and child care facilities within the village are unsurpassed. It boasts Des Enfants and Ecole des Parents childcare and no less than five ski schools including the Avoriaz Alpine Ski School. With lessons in English by native English speaking instructors and an integrated nursery accepting babies from three months, the Avoriaz Alpine Ski School allows children between aged three and five to combine their nursery stay with Villages des Enfants ski lessons.
Avoriaz’s new Learn to Snowboard program uses a teaching method adapted to young children which is totally unique in Europe: From 15th December in the centre of the resort, at the very heart of the Village des Enfants’ giant learning area, Burton will open “Riglet Park”, a snowy play zone designed to introduce children from 3 years old to snowboarding.
3. Innovative & exhilarating ski area: The resort ski area is both engaging and innovative with dedicated ‘learning areas’ plus the Avoriaz Snozone encompassing five snowparks and Snowcross areas – including the award winning Burton Le Stash, Lil Stash and Burton Kids Parkway, all served by a state of the art lift system with large family-friendly fast chairlifts.
4. Completely car-free sustainable resort: A car free resort where the taxis are horse drawn sleighs and sustainable initiatives are at the heart of every project.
5. Great transport links: Avoriaz offers great rail and air transport links to the UK with quick resort transfer times thanks to its location just 90 minutes from Geneva airport and 45 mins from Cluses train station.
6. Affordable and flexible lift pass options: Lift pass offers in Avoriaz are available in various flexible options including kids’ rates for under 16s, youth passes for 16 – 19 years old, seniors at 65+, a 5 hour pass, park- and stash-only passes and points cards, and 10 per cent off family pass discounts. These offer significant savings; for instance, a six-day Portes de Soleil pass for two adults and two kids aged 5 – 15 would cost €710 individually or €560 for the family. In December and April special offer lift passes add access to the Aquariaz water park and free kids passes on selected dates.
7. Accommodation suited to varying budgets and party sizes: Avoriaz boasts a wide range of accommodation options. These range from basic, budget four-person Maeva studios on the one hand, to luxury spacious Pierre & Vacances Premium properties. At the premium end two and thee-bedroom apartments, hotel style service is coupled with spa and indoor leisure facilities.
Over 500 quality spacious new apartments have recently been added, designed to meet growing demand from families and groups who want to go on holiday with grandparents and friends. The new Crozats residence, for example, offers connecting apartments, ideal for groups looking to come together at meal times, while offering privacy at other times during the trip. Further family friendly hotel options are also available.
8. All-season entertainment programme: A lively calendar of in-resort events takes place in Avoriaz throughout each season. From fireworks and visits from Santa for kids at Christmas to the February ‘Carnaval’ with torchlight descents and colourful street art, live music from rock to jazz, international DJ acts and cabaret, an exhilarating programme is designed to thrill and entertain.
9. A host of ‘alternative’ snow-related activities: Opportunities for non skiers or for those who simply want to try something new in the mountains abound in Avoriaz. Night sledging, a ‘safe sledging’ run, snowshoe walks, dog sledging, skating and even free fall parachuting are among the many options!
AND SAVING THE BEST TILL LAST!!!
10. The brand new Aquariaz: The first ever ski resort water park! Designed by the team at Center Parcs, this is a state-of-the-art aquatic paradise with enough to keep all ages happy. Note this French water park is swim-shorts friendly – but if you want to ‘go French’ and wear Speedos, that’s OK too!